The word “Shiatsu” translates to “finger pressure”. It is a form of traditional Japanese massage. Shiatsu massage is used as an alternative to other types of medical treatments in all parts of the world. They are not the same as western style massages.
Shiatsu massages includes more finger pressure to stimulate the various energies within the body that may become blocked or out of balance. It focuses on the circulation of body’s energy that underlies all functions, known as Ki or Qi. They use thumbs, fingers, elbows and knees and sometimes feet for different massages.
16 Benefits of Shiatsu Massage
Shiatsu massage serves several functions to the receiver and here are some of the most useful benefits.
- Shiatsu massage is a non-invasive form of therapy aimed to reduce the stress and improve one’s well-being. Experts believe that it has both preventative and remedial effects.
- The practitioners do not have to touch the skin directly therefore light cotton top and trouser can be worn during the session.
- Shiatsu massage is used in the treatment of a wider range of diseases from musculoskeletal problems to internal and emotional conditions.
- Shiatsu can help with digestion.
- It reduces the muscle stiffness and therefore the muscle aches and pains. The finger pressure act on the skin and muscles help to release the tension by pressing on acupressure points.
- It stimulates the skin. The act of finger pressure on the acupressure points of your body improves the circulation to the skin surface as well as stimulates the sebaceous glands to secrete sebum which will help moisturize and soften your skin. Further, it keeps away skin wrinkles thus giving your skin a young and healthy look.
- Shiatsu massage influence the nervous system.
- Shiatsu massage is also useful in the treatment of chronic conditions such as back aches, neck and joint pain, frozen shoulder, sciatica, headache, fatigue, insomnia, stress and anxiety.
- It restores and maintains the circulating body’s energy.
- The circulation of blood within the body is improved.
- It is often used to reduce stress and tension. Shiatsu massage helps relax nearly anyone who receives the massage. A research showed that approximately 95% of the patients felt calmer and more relaxed following a shiatsu session. It also reduces anxiety and depression.
- It can help relieve arthritic pain.
- It also helps with respiratory problems such as colds, coughs and sinus problems.
- Helps to relieve constipation. In such conditions, the massage is applied over the abdomen. The stretching and pulling of the muscles during the massage help to relax the muscles and intestines thus relieving constipation.
- Shiatsu increases the energy level and therefore helps with recovering from injuries faster.
- It can help benefit pregnant women. Shiatsu massage is used to induce labor in those who are overdue. It also helps to reduce the morning sickness and the swelling that have been caused by the pregnancy. Always consult your doctor before getting any massage while pregnant.
Looking at all the benefits of shiatsu massage, it might be worth to give it a try. Look for a reliable provider or try one of the many shiatsu massages you can do at home.
There are shiatsu massagers that can help with specific health problems. We review some of the Shiatsu massagers here:
- Shiatsu Massage Chairs
- Shiatsu Foot Massagers
- Shiatsu Back Massagers
- Shiatsu Neck and Shoulder Massagers
Always consult your health care provider or doctor before getting a shiatsu massage.